Sunday, November 23, 2008

Hats & Mittens

What have I been sewing this week?

For the past couple of years I've been trying to make my sewing more meaningful and I've been using up left-over fleece pieces to make blankets and hats and mittens to donate to our community Resource Centre for Christmas giving.

I have a blanket half finished ( that's this week's job, to finish it) and am almost finished 12 sets of hats and mitts in various sizes.

I had thought my grandchildren would be here to model them for my blog this weekend, but what with one having the stomach flu and our first winter storm , they didn't make it. So I'll just show you the mittens minus the models.

I used an OOP pattern for both the mitts and hats, S3675.



I make the mittens reversible. This makes them very warm.
For some I modified the hat to be more suitable for boys. For others I added braided ties for added warmth for little girls.
Here are just a few.







I think matching scarves would be nice too but here in New Brunswick, Canada, children are not allowed to wear scarves to school. So I guess in the back of my mind, I'd feel guilty giving the scarves along with the mitts and hats.

I think its amazing what you can do with a little fleece. It makes me feel good to make these sets, but I have to admit that I'm glad to be finished for this year.It becomes awfully repetitive after the first few.

Now, on to the fleece quilt....

3 comments:

Vicki said...

That is very kind of you to sew all those hats and mittens! Out of curiosity - why are the children not allowed to wear scarfs? Our children do and it is no where near as cold. The only stipulation is that they must be black to match the shool uniform.

Ann Made Studio said...

Diana, all these hats and mitts look great. I'm sure they will be very much appreciated. What is your next project?
I received my buttons today :))) I love them...now must find time and energy :) to make my buttonholes!

Nancy Winningham said...

What a wonderful idea, and how cute they are too!