Sunday, March 8, 2009

A Warm and Toasty Extra Piece for my Swap

This sweater jacket came to be quite by accident.

Last winter ,I bought a nice soft 100% wool sweater knit thinking I wool make View C of the . Marci Tilton T-Shirt pattern. I decided to prewash my wool in cold water on gentle cycle. Well ,I was completely shocked to find that my beautiful knit had metamorphosed into about half its size and at least three times its thickness.This was to my way of thinking probably a perfect example of felted wool.

I had this pattern and immediately decided that my felted wool would be perfect for View B.And Voila! So it became!



I only had 1.25 meters to achieve this garment so it was a real challenge. I managed by using a poly-fleece of close to the same colour for the under collar and the facings.In this photo you can see the under collar. It blends quite well with the wool ,so It turned out OK.



I decided not to change the pattern this time. I didn't add anything at all. I used loops as the pattern required but only put in three instesd of four. And I had these pretty flower buttons in my collection and they did the trick.



I finished the seams in two different ways. For the side seams, I top-stitched on either side and trimmed off the excess. For the facings, I used a Hongkong finish . I added a wide bias strip to the back hem to make it even with the facings.I left the sleeves for now. They are very thick with the pleats and all so I didn't want to tackle them.



This Jacket can also be worn as a sweater around the house. I'm always cold and I'm wearing it right now as a matter of fact.It will be great with my Swap jeans, or any jeans. I can wear it with my Swap skirt for a dressier look.I think I'll get a lot of wear out of this piece.

For now it's an extra piece. If something should happen that I couldn't finish my Swap jacket ( which I've been working on for a couple of weeks now), then this could serve as the jacket for my Swap.

>

13 comments:

gwensews said...

Pretty jacket and it looks wonderful on you. You turned out what could have been a little disaster into a beautiful thing. Good job!

Claire S. said...

I LOVE it ! 'nuff said :-)

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

You know I'm a sucker for details and this beautiful jacket is chockful of them! What an awesome interpretation!

Claudine said...

Wow, that's beautiful! I love the sleeve and darts/tucks in the front.

Meg said...

Really fabulous jacket! And it looks great on you. Well done.

Ann Made Studio said...

Diana, you did a wonderful job on this jacket. It must be so nice and warm in wool:)Very nice picture, you look wonderful :)

Diana said...

Thanks to all for your nice comments.I wore this out today and it was just the thing for our March weather here in the Maritimes.(eastern Canada)

kbenco said...

Ooh, your jacket is so cosy. I love the pleats/tucks.

Thanks for sending me the sewing sisterhood thing a ma jig. I love being part of the sisterhood!

Chris said...

Diana,
Nice job, this looks great on you. I love the buttons!

Linda T said...

Really cute!

Anonymous said...

I love it!! I am always on the lookout for some "sweater/cardigan" ideas. I should go ahead and try boiled wool... Thanks also for the "sisterhood award" - it is soo nice! It´s good to know someone out there appreciates (and shares the love of) my hobby.

Tany said...

It's a gorgeous jacket and you look great in it! Congratulations!

BCN - UNIQUE designer patterns said...

Diana .- jacket is divine, also the details and you look fabulous as always