Sunday, August 23, 2009

Vogue 8605 for a Store Display

It's that time of year again when the staff at Fabricville is encouraged to sew garments or crafts out of the new fabrics coming in daily to be used as displays for the various fabric collections.
The deal is that we get all fabrics and notions including patterns,for a particular project at no charge.We must leave the item on display for about three months .After that we get to take it home.


Vogue 8605 caught my eye right away when I first saw it on someone's blog ( maybe Carolyn's?) It's that type of pattern that I know would be more suitable for that tall willowy model-like creature who is wearing it in Vogue patterns catalogue.You've heard me go on and on about that before.Well,since this jacket isn't going to cost me one cent and I get to add the pattern to my collection and I really like the skirt and pants in this one,I decided why not!





I used a wool /acrylic sweater knit that I feel was very suitable for the style .A light wool double knit was recommended and this knit would be very much similar in weight .It's a hazy floral with navy and other blues as well as a couple of shades of green.Because the wrong side of the fabric shows at he collar,I decided to use a navy knit facing and I'm not sure it works. I may decide to take it out and just let the wrong side show when I get this home in late fall.




When I chose this pattern I thought it would be a quick project but not so.First up, I hand-basted all the markings ( pockets,tabs,etc).Then the fabric insisted on curling at every edge so I ended up turning the seam allowances over a scant quarter of an inch and stitching them down.After joining seams I then top-stitched them on each side of the seam .This took a considerable length of time.What with having to figure out how to add a facing and working it in into the style of the piece,I worked 11 hours on this little beast.



I really enjoyed making this garment though. It was fun!I love trying different things.The only change I made,besides adding the front facing, was to make the buttonhole in the "band" rather than in the spot indicated by the pattern because I just didn't like the effect of having a buttonhole so far from the edge of the jacket.

Do I like this rather boxy and floppy cardigan-like jacket? Yes I do. I think it's cute and will be fun to wear with jeans. It would look great with a longer pencil skirt like the one in the pattern but to be realistic,for me ,it will be a casual piece. And if I change my mind and decide it's too baggy ,I'll at least wear it as a wrap while I'm on the computer in the winter on those cold days.

It has been so terribly hot and humid for the past ten days here that I just couldn't persuade myself to try the jacket with a turtleneck and the appropriate pants for a photo. Instead, I waited to get a couple taken at work. The setting on my camera wasn't right but these pictures will give you an idea of how it looks on .




Look here if you want to see more V8605.

Hope you got the chance to sew this past week.If not, maybe you will this week.

10 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Diana - first I like the blue band...it gives the eye somewhere to land! Second, this is really cute. I want to make mine from some of the heavy grey wool jersey I scored from fabric.com.

Even though it's hot and humid, it's nice to see some of the Vogue patterns coming to life!

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

I like this jacket, very much. Bet you get lot's of good wear out of it. :)

Gail said...

interesting to see you gearing up for the cooler season. we are experiencing an unseasonably warm winter (32 celcius today) that I think my summer wardrobe is needed sooner than I expected.

Lisa Laree said...

Neat top! Question: does three months' worth of constant exposure to florescent lighting visibly damage a display garment? I've always wondered that about the garments I've seen around...

gwensews said...

I think that is cute as can be! I think I'll have to buy the pattern, and I would make the longer version. Definitely.

knitmachinequeen (KMQ) said...

I like it, I like it!

Ann Made Studio said...

Diana, I will try hard to make it in to Fabricville this week end. I haven't been there since we moved!
I'm anxious to see the fall fabric....nice I'm sure :)
Your cardigan looks great on you and I also like the blue facing. It works perfect with the fabric.

Linda T said...

I think it looks good on you. I wish I could get motivated for fall sewing, but it is still so hot here....right now I'm having mojo problems anyway. It will return--I hope soon.

Vicki said...

I think the blue works well with the jeans. At least it looks good in the photos. And the style looks nice on you too!

Sewingadicta said...

The jacket is fluid and pleasant, I love it with jeans!