Sunday, August 22, 2010

New Look 6284 and Chaddo Ralph Rucci Pants

My grandchildren visited last week so not much time for sewing.I thought though that I would show you a top I finished a while back but was waiting for the Chado Ralph Rucci V1054 pants to be finished before showing it and I just finished them.

The top is my second version of New Look 6807( Here is the first one )



I used a printed layer over a plain layer of polyester geogette.

I made three changes to the pattern.

#1. I added about 3" at both the center front and back because I wanted more gathers at the neckline.

#2. I lengthened the sleeves to 3/4 length and narrowed the fullness because I didn't have enough fabric.

#3. I added a couple of inches to the length of the top.


Here it is on Antoinette.



And here it is on me.



This garment is a great success because I really love it and have worn it as a lounging piece and found it to be very comfortable.


As for the pants,they've been a challenge! Here is the line drawing.




There's a band which extends from the front and back yoke and is sewn to the side of the front and back pieces so I didn't know how to alter the pants or if my usual size 12 would fit .So I cut a size 14. I took a chance without making a muslin because the crotch length was Ok

After sewing everything together and trying them on, the seat and the back of the legs had too much fabric!!
At this point ,I had sewn all the top stitching to that side panel."

"Why did she do that?" you might ask!

It had to come out on the back pieces . Then I took an extra 3/8" seam in from the original seam like this:




and still ,too much fabric back there. Now I always have to shave off 1/4" from the curve at the hip because I'm flat there. (That's the only place I'm flat! LOL) So I decided to try this but only to the back piece and not the band.I took the extra 1/4" from the top of the hip all the way to the bottom of the leg because I wanted the legs to be narrower than they were.This photo shows what I did.



And guess what! It worked! I achieved a great fit but not a perfect fit mind you.
There's still a bit too much fabric at the back of the knee.I think I would have been OK with a size 12.Therefore ,this pattern is pretty true to size, IMO.

So thenI had to unsew the inner legs at least part way so I could redo the top stitching in the back.Good thing I love to top stitch!

My advice for you, dear fellow sewists, is MAKE A MUSLIN WHEN TRYING A COMPLICATED PATTERN FOR THE FIRST TIME

One change I did make to the pattern was to extend the waistband an inch so it would fit over my muffin top.That worked great! See!




When I showed these pants to DH he thought they fit amazingly well! Little does he know just how much work went into making them fit like that!

I didn't line my jeans as the pattern called for. I've already put in enough hours on this garment.Enough is enough.

I used a hook and tab closure and hand stitched the hem.To add my own special touch,
I embroidered a tone on tone design on the back pockets which DH thought was very striking.





Will I make them again? Yes I think so as part of a csual pant suit I'm planning for the fall.

Well...Here they are!!



I'm happy with the way these two pieces look together in real life .

My Sandra Betzina top needed these pants to be appreciated. I love the two together.



Sorry for such a long post.
More later! Hope you find time to sew!.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should be pleased!! The top is so cute and the pants fit you fantastically. A win and a win! I also love the Sandra Betzina blue top with the pants.

Lori said...

Great looking pants and tops. I like both of these tops but the blue/white combination with the Sandra Betzina top is fabulous.

Jane M said...

You look fabulous in those pants and tops, summery and chic.

Gail said...

You look stunning in this outfit. Love the yellow and white combo. Your white jeans fit wonderfully and I love the pocket treatment. I'm not game to start on mine!

Sharon said...

Love your pants and that tone on tone embroidery is stunning. Great outfits.

Jenny said...

All lovely! I especially like the pants with the blue top. Congrats for tackling those pants!

Shannon said...

Great job making those pants fit. The entire outfit looks wonderful on you!

Ann Made Studio said...

You look amazing, your outfits are beautiful and such a perfect fit.

Vicki said...

Lovely outfit. those pockets are pretty cool.

Dana said...

Great outfits! Those pants are really flattering!

Digs said...

Very cute outfits! Bon Voyage!