Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Bag for Paris

Just a last quick post.
I probably have a purse of every colour you can imagine but not navy.

I really like making bags or purses although they require an awful lot
of effort,IMO.

I knew I still had one more item in me to make before out trip and since I've had this interesting piece of weathered look faux leather, which was a remnant from the Drapery Department at Fabricville, for a couple of years, I decided to make an across the body bag to take along to Paris.

I didn't use a pattern. I just layed out the fabric and the design came to me after staring at it for a while.

Stats:

Fabric: Faux leather which looks like strips of fabric sewn together.
Lining: Burberry-like plaid polyester silky ( I love it!)
Interfacing: Drapery weight heavy fusible.
Hardware: Two glitzy heavy weight zippers from my stash
Two metal rings salvaged from an old piece of luggage.

Here it is and I'm very happy with the results!





The only embellishment to the outside is a zippered pocket.
The closure is simply a zipper starting at about 4""down one side ,across the top and finishing 4" down the other side. I thought this would be the best anti-thief closure to use.

I ended up making it a bit bigger than I had planned. It measures 14" by 14".

I added depth to the purse by sewing three darts at each rounded corner at the bottom of the front and back.



The straps were the hardest part to sew. neither one of my machines really wanted the job but eventually they got done.I made them long enough to wear over my head and across my chest.



On the inside I formed two pockets (one for cell phone ) by pleating a long piece of interfaced lining. The pleats give the pockets depth.




On the other side I added a zippered pocket.



A look at the inside.



So I think I'm set to go.



Talk to you when I get back.

5 comments:

Vicki said...

Oh, it is quite big. Love it. It will be great having your hands free too. Great lining. Looks so professional. Have a great trip!!!!!

Ann Made Studio said...

Love the design Diana and the lining is perfect.You did a fantastic job!

Have a great trip.

Sharon said...

Great bag and look forward to hearing all about your trip. Enjoy yourself.

Linda G said...

Everything looks great Diana. Hope that you have a wonderful trip.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

What a great bag!!! Love the "burberry" plaid you added to the inside!