Sunday, June 26, 2011

Burda 8905, An Almost UFO

I've been planning to make this jacket out of this fabric for so long that it feels like I've completed an unfinished project. This is really not the time to be making yet another jacket but this fabric ,a cotton twill, was yelling out.

"Enough already! You promised I could be a jean jacket!"

Here it is.


It's probably not to every one's taste but I like it. It replaces this one that went to live with Tamara in Ottawa a couple of years ago.




Burda 8905 is out of print, but if you have this pattern let me tell you that it's a little gem.



It's easy to make, unless you decide to Hong Kong finish every single seam which is what I did. That took a long time and I was very happy when the last stitch was finished!

It's slimming as it has a nice curve at the waist at the side seams. That's what I really like about it.

I've made this five times previously.A couple were for my daughter. I always thought I should do an FBA but always forgot when cutting it out. This time I did and ended up being sorry. The FBA caused the two front pieces below the yoke to curve and so the pockets when placed within the seam joining the yoke to the lower bottom front were slanted . I had to place the pockets lower . This is how they look.



It's Ok but....

Special features of this piece are the snap buttons ,the pink top stitching and the polka dot quilter's cotton I used for the facings and the Hong Kong finished seams because I didn't have enough fabric.







The polka dots might be a bit much but only the lapel reveals them really. What do you think?


Sometimes I think that sewers wear clothes that other people just don't. I always know that's the case when I wear an item and no one comments or compliments me.This may be one of those items.

But on the other hand, it looks a little Coldwatercreekish, don't you think?
More pics here!






It's finally hot here today ,so next up are a couple of little dresses to keep me cool.

More later from

22 comments:

Dilliander said...

Lovely Diana. I like it!!

Margaret said...

Diana, I think your jacket is lovely and bright -- just what we've been needing in this sort of un-summer like weather, (enough about the weather) you always seem to get such a lot of sewing done. and all your garments compliment each other , I love your blog. have a great summer.
margaret

Lori said...

I really like your jacket, Diana, very pretty.

Sharon said...

Great jacket, you will be able to wear it with all sorts of colours.

Irene said...

The jacket is lovely. The polka dots look just fine - they "perk up" the inside of the jacket.

Gail said...

Funny I didn't like it on the dummy, but it is perfect on you! You really do understand what suits you and I am always in awe of your sewing skill.

Vicki said...

I agree it is a fine line but I think it looks good on you. It looks fresh with the white

Fran said...

Great jacket!

Mariela Alethia said...

Beautiful jacket, love the color, awesome!

Digs said...

Very cute! the polka-dot facings are inspired. Love the look with the pink shell.

Michelle said...

I really like the polka dot facings, I think they are fantastic!

Alethia said...

I love it!! This is better than coldwater creek~ this is boutiquish,lol! More money....!!! Beautifully done.

Alethia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
shams said...

What do I think? I think it's FABULOUS. I like it better than the version it replaces. :)

Summer Flies said...

I like it on the dummy but I love it more on you! I love the polka dots on the inside too. I would love to wear this!

gwensews said...

I love, love, love happy jackets,and especially happy jean jackets. Both of these are just--happy!

SewBarbie said...

I love the pattern, it's super-cute on you!

Sewingadicta said...

Fabulous! I love it! As summer with the soft colors!! Love the pink lining, it gave a funny touch to the jacket. Great!

Janene said...

Oh, so cute!

pdiddly said...

Diana

the Jackets looks fantastic with the white jeans and pink sweater - I love it. Think I mentioned before I have a Palmer Pletch jean jacket pattern that I need to do seeing your's inspires me to find some nice fabric to run it up.

pdiddly said...

Oh I forgot to say - I like the pink polka dots :-)

Lisa H. said...

I love both jackets! They look fun and perfect for the season.