Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dress for Sister #2 Silhouette Swing Dress

I'm making a series of dresses for my sisters because my own closets are bulging at the seams.

This one is for Gloria who tried on my version of the Silhouette Swing Dress from last year. Two of my sisters have chosen this design for their made-by-me dresses.

I want to point out that my version of the Swing Dress is very different from the original and if ,like my sisters, you want to make one like mine, please visit this blog post to see how I achieved this look.

Here is Sister #2 , Gloria's dress. I couldn't help accessorizing it!



The fabric is a rayon jersey that has a bit of extra weight so it drapes beautifully. With no need for a zipper,it's very easy to make and to wear.

I finished the neckline  with my favorite method....a narrow band finished with top stitching.


Like me, Gloria prefers 3/4 sleeves and we decided on a couple of inches below the knee for the length. At a slim 5'6, this is a good length for her. She was suppose to send me a pic of herself wearing the dress but that hasn't happened so I'll just show you another photo with differnt accessorie.




Gloria was so apparently happy with this dress that it did my heart good and made me realize that sharing my skills with others is important.

 On Sunday at church, I was asked to make 25 "choir scarves" and although it means hours of boring sewing, I feel surprisingly happy to have been asked!

Since I have no person in a dress picture to show you, I thought I'd show you my latest Riley and Poppy pics.                                                  
                                                          My Little Pixie


                                                             and My Little Munchkin



I have an update. My sister sent me this picture so here is Gloria in her made-by-me dress.



I hope you've found time to sew this week! More later from




8 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh I love this dress, the colour is so me and you are so generous making dresses for your sisters.

Vicki said...

Those gorgeous smiles on your grand babies brought a smile to my face too! So cute. Lucky sister, great dress.

Unknown said...

Diana - Both of your sisters' dresses are divine, as well as the dress for the little one. I, too have been asked to sew for my church from time to time. It's a blessing and an honor to be able to share our talents this way.

Faye Lewis said...

Love Gloria's dress and it's so cute on her. I am thinking of making this style dress twice (one black and one brown) for the fall winter season. I know Gloria and Pauline really appreciate these beautiful sister made dresses. That just makes them so very special. I haven gotten a picture from my sisters as of yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ann Made Studio said...

The dress fits your sister perfectly, very nice.
And your grandchildren are adorable :)

Jean said...

Your sister's dress is perfect -- great fit and wonderful style. It looks like such a versatile dress that can be accessorized in many ways. Your two little ones are too cute!

Irene said...

Yet another gorgeous dress! As I said - lucky, lucky sisters.

Sewingadicta said...

Wow! Your sisters are lucky girls! The dress looks perfect on her. And I love the pictures of these two little naughty, so adorable.