Sunday, September 1, 2013

A UFO....Marci Tilton's V8620 Jacket

We all have UFOs ( Unfinished Objects for anyone who might not be in the know). I recently decided mine had to get made or they had to go.

I almost threw this one out. Instead, I decided to just have one last look and I noticed I had started this one.

 I remember cutting this out two years ago at the end of summer. The reason I almost discarded it was that I wasn't sure why I had ever chosen this fabric. It's a metallic look faux linen and it no longer seemed appropriate for  the pattern.

 Well ,I really like this pattern and I thought this could at least serve as a muslin until I came up with a better choice of fabric.

The pattern is V8620.

I looked on Pattern Review and saw some great versions so I started to sew. It wasn't long before I had completely changed my mind . I really do like the fabric for this style. Here is my version.




I had cut out a coordinating striped suiting to use for the facings and I decided to press these so they showed as a piping-look trim.



I just happened to have this great fashion zipper that matched the circles on the fabric and the facings perfectly. I just couldn't hide it away, so I decided to go for the exposed zipper look that I love.


The collar stands so well and sits away  from the neck so a light scarf will look great in early fall and spring.



I cleaned up the seam allowances on the inside with a Hong Kong finish in red satin.I didn't decide to this ,however, until I had finished so it's not looking great!
I added a bias strip to the hem to add a little weight and  drape to my jacket because the fabric is fairly lightweight.



The back swings gracefully away from the body so a stiff fabric would probably not do for this design.





I just love this piece. So far ,I've found it looks good with my grey wide legged pants ,my white palazzo pants, but not so with my grey skinny jeans. Boot cut jeans are a good look with it but not a skirt.






What do you think? Was I right not to throw this one away?

I hope you found time to sew to your heart's content ,this long final weekend of summer!

More later from





16 comments:

Linda T said...

Definitely a good save! That is such a fun print and the exposed zip is a perfect touch!

RhondaBuss said...

What a cute jacket. It looks absolutely perfect on you.

Towanda said...

Cute jacket, you and the jacket are a perfect match.

pegsewer said...

Well done and looks great too! It"s been a sewing weekend for me too-- something about the end of summer.

Sharon said...

Very worthwhile saving and looks fabulous on you. Does a pair of silk boxer shorts count for a weekend of sewing?

Vicki said...

Cute, cute, cute!!

Sarah Liz said...

The fabric does work really well for that jacket so I am glad you made it up - it looks lovely on you.

Ann Made Studio said...

This was a great save Diana. I love the fabric and the jacket is perfect on you!

Margy said...

Ah, so beautiful, Diana...this is one of my favorite patterns that I must revisit. I love the fabric, the trim and the zipper! I think this collar is one of the most flattering I've seen.

Great save!

shams said...

Oh, Diana! LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! I am SO glad that you finished this up, as it's totally wonderful!!!! It's a perfect marriage of fabric, pattern, and zipper.

Sewingadicta said...

So cute, dear Diana! This is a great jacket to get a great look on you!

Diana said...

Thank you ladies for your nice comments, I love hearing from you.

Diana said...

Thank you ladies for your nice comments, I love hearing from you.

EmSewCrazy said...

This is super cute! What a great save. I love when things like zippers and fake piping come together.
I really enjoy your blog so I nominated to pass on the liebster award to you! Details here: http://tumbleweedsinthewind.blogspot.com/2013/09/liebster-award.html

Mary said...

This jacket is so gorgeous on you! I have the pattern on my fall plans and am thrilled to see your version. It's lovely!

Jean said...

Wow -- this jacket is fabulous! I'm so glad you saved it! And the red accent around the neck is perfect.