Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Week of Three Tops

After finishing my sisters denim suit, I wanted to make something easier so I decided to make a top, or two, or three!

Well, it only takes about three hours to make a top and I sew a little every day and also every evening so I  now have three new tops to take with me when we go to Montreal and Ottawa in two weeks.

First I made this top (shown with and without a matching infinity scarf)




using Burda Style. (#118, Nov.,2008).


Special details include rolled back sleeves and elasticized waist.

The fabric is nubby polyester jersey bought at Fabricville. This fabric knew exactly what it wanted to be before I even took it to the cutting tables. I love this one.




Next I used  a wool/acrylic blend , with V8597  ,changed the collar to a loose turtle neck so I could wear it under this, changed the two piece sleeves to one piece , and ended with this very classic pullover.



Finally I wanted to make a boat neck ,3/4 sleeved pullover out of a ribbed stripe from my stash ( I don't know the content). I used Burda Style, #108, Feb , 2008 . I decided to change the neckline to scooped, added bias pockets , neck and sleeve bands and added 3' to the length . The result is a very wearable casual but polished striped top which is a perfect match for these grey stretch woven yoga pants (Silhouette Patterns).



I feel really good about getting these made up. I find tops that I wear a lot in my everyday life tend to get a little shabby after a season or two and these will replace a couple that have seen better days.




Next up is a denim suit for moi, using a double sided stretch denim bought on our last trip to Montreal and an Adri pattern I've made  twice before. My goal is to wear it to Montreal when I go fabric shopping on Rue St. Hubert . We'll see if it happens because life may get in the way of sewing this week. Lol!

I hope you found time to sew this week.
More later from



12 comments:

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Diana - these are all so gorgeous and make me want to sew some tops!

Faye Lewis said...

All three tops are wonderful. Love the stripes, just bought some today.

EmSewCrazy said...

Ooh lovely tops. Stripes are just so classic! Hope you have a great time on your trip!

RhondaBuss said...

Great tops! I love everywhere I've been in Canada, but I've never been to Montreal. It's on my list!!!

Sharon said...

Very stylish tops, love them all and how you added your touch to them as well.

Sarah Liz said...

Your sewing is always a treat to see Diana - three very lovely, classic, wearable knits that look so smart. Good luck with your next project.

Jean said...

All three tops look great, but my fave is the first striped one. So classic and stylish! I hope you have a great trip!

Jenny said...

Great functional tops! Love that white.

Sewingadicta said...

Wow! You are so productive! My favorite is the simple ecru one, love its elegance. Be happy week, dear Diana!

Sandra said...

Diana, you make such beautiful clothes, even when it's "simple" knit tops. The extra touches you add (bias pockets, bias bindings, etc.) make each one something to look forward to wearing. Enjoy your trip to Montreal and I'll hope for a report on any fabric shops there.

Unknown said...

Again, you hit the ball out of the park. Love your taste and style. Keep up the good work.

Beth H said...

Diana, These are great! I was wondering if you have any standard lengths that you use for your tops?