Sunday, June 8, 2014

Vogue 1385 #2 and a Dress

I finally got photos taken so here is my second Sandra Betzina jacket,  V1385 



Don't you just love the neckline!




I was very lucky to find just the right purple buttons too!

This jacket really isn't hard to make. As long as you mark those neck darts well and follow the directions, they come together quite well. As a matter of fact, two of my sewing students have opted to make this as their project.

Last time, I had made size C and found it was too big so this time I cut Size B but I made a Full Bust Adjustment and the fit is just right!


For the coordinating dress,  I morphed the top of V8684 and the  Rachel  Comey   skirt , V1247 by joining the skirt to the dress at the waistline.




I added more gathers at the shoulder because when I muslined this dress ( I made it into a nightie ), I found the ruching was way too sparse. BTW, I love the French dart on this dress. It works really well.


Not a good photo but I wanted to show the pocket detail.. The Rachey Comey skirt is A-line but I made it into more of a straight skirt because it looked better like this.


The fabrics both came from Vogue Fabrics. The jacket is a cotton sateen and the dress is a ponte knit.





This is more of a spring fall outfit than a summer one because the ponte of the dress is quite thick but I might get some wear out of the jacket paired with pants for a sportier look, like this.



There are several tops cut out and in various stages of construction right now in my sewing room. I'm very keen on this  Marci Tilton top/jacket, V8982 in particular. So you'll see that for sure next time.

Until then, Happy Sewing from


22 comments:

Nancy K said...

Really pretty outfit. It certainly can take you into the colder fall if not all summer.

Jenny said...

So pretty! I love those cool colors. Your dress is lovely.

Enid said...

Another great combo...
The fabrics are perfect and the colors are so lovely on you!

Regina Gee said...

Very attractive jacket and dress!

Linda T said...

That's a really beautiful outfit. Your jacket came out perfect - the colors! I like how you merged the skirt pattern to a top pattern. I'm sure I would have never thought to do that.

Towanda said...

Great outfit. Awesome marriage of fabric and patterns.

shams said...

Yes, I do love that jacket! And it looks great in both ensembles!

Amanda S. said...

Fantastic outfits!

Sarah Liz said...

What a very pretty jacket - I just love that collar, love the buttons, love the very clever dress you made (what a great idea to "merge"the patterns, but really I think you have designed your own, and just incorporated ideas - brilliant). And I love your styling as well :)

Sew, Jean Margaret said...

Love how you have combined patterns to make the dress. It looks lovely on you. That jacket is just gorgeous. Love the neckline detail. Beautiful outfit.

SueC56 said...

I love the outfits. Now I want to figure out how to incorporate the ruching on the sleeves into a pattern I have!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I love the dress & jacket combo! The mashup of patterns to form the dress is particularly cool. That Marcy top is on my next to sew list also but I'm using it as a topper/jacket over a dress. Can't wait to see yours to get some sewing tips!

Unknown said...

I don't know if it's because all shades of purple are among my favorites or if its because that dress and jacket combination are just plain wonderful. All I know is I simply love that ensemble. My favorite clothes are the things you can dress up and dress down. That jacket looks just as great with the slacks as it does with the dress. As usual, you did a fantastic job.

Sharon said...

Gorgeous jacket and great dress, love the cool colours!

Vicki said...

Another great jacket. Pretty cute dress too.

Cennetta said...

Diana,
You look fantastic! The Sandra Betzina jacket is to die for. I have this pattern and plan to make it soon. I love your purple ensemble. Excellent!

Jean said...

What a wonderful outfit! I love that jacket neckline!

Debs - debslosingit.com said...

LOVE the jacket! It looks fab with both the dress and jeans. The neckline is really interesting and that fabric! :D

'Raine said...

I just love the pattern matching on the front. Well done

Ann Made Studio said...

Your outfit looks awesome! Love the colours!

Jane M said...

I'm doing some blog research as I start to just my version of the Vogue SB pattern. I love the fabric you chose for yours and how versatile it is. But I never noticed before the top/dress pattern that you frankenpatterned and I love how nice it looks on you.

Weaveron Textile said...

Nice, friend. I love the use of pattern and navigation!
to get fabric on demand from weaveron textile.