Sunday, April 9, 2017

A Two Sided \knit Duo

  When I go to a fabric store , I have a really hard time to resist a two sided fabric. Then I can never decide what to make . I always feel that I must use both sides or make a reversible garment.

This past fall Fabricville had this lovely two sided knit . It came in red or black and each was backed by a mini black and white stripe. I bought both colour ways knowing I would make a boat neck top with the striped side and a waterfall cardi in either the red or black. I also wanted to use some of my fabric to make Four Way wraps for my sale. The dilemma this time was which to use for the cardi, red or black ??

Here's what I decided in the end.



For the cardi, I used S2603 , now OOP.


However, I cut I cut away about 6" from the collar and front to minimize the amount and length of the "fall". I love the result and it's not as cumbersome as others I've made in the past. 

Here's the top




I'll wear that top to death because it's my favorite style of all times. I used what I consider to be my Burda  sloper, 6988. I pretty well get a perfect fit with this pattern. This time I scooped the neckline ever so slightly in both the front and back so the boat neck is not quite as severe as in other things I've made in the past .
burda style Umschlag Cover Fertigschnitte

I decided to make a wrap for myself to wear with the top out of the red. I'll use the rest of the yardage for a future fund raiser. By the time I posted this, someone had persuaded me to sell her the above wrap so no photo of me wearing it !



I finally made myself  get pics taken today . It's so hard to decide to do this so I took pics of several outfits including last week's post.




The reason for this pose was my hubby , making fun of me because I was taking theses pics myself and I said I was doing a photo shoot. .


Well that's the end of winter stuff for sure. I have some really fun things to show you next time so be sure to come back for a visit.

Thanks to all who left comments last week . They were really appreciated.

More later from


8 comments:

Unknown said...

Can you explain in more detail where you took the 6" from? I have that pattern and would love to make a cardigan just like yours. It's beautiful! I also have trouble deciding what to do with two sided knits. Thanks!

Dharma said...

I was going to ask the same question Suzanne did!! I have this pattern and I have not made it because it would too much fabric for my body frame. I can email you if that works better for you.
Thank you so much for your blog. I appreciate your sewing wisdom!!

Faye Lewis said...

Love your ensemble! There is no double sided fabric to be found in my area. I've searched and searched.

Nancy K said...

Fabulous! What a great use of this double sided fabric.

Sharon said...

Wow Diana you have been very busy since my last visit, wraps for charity, wonderful tops for yourself and I just love how you have used this double sided fabric for the Simplicity cardigan.

Unknown said...

Diana, so stylish and well put together as always.

Ohhhmy said...

When your photo came up on the screen in your new ensemble with the red necklace, I went AHHHHHH! Beautifully done. Thank you for this post as it helps us think about two sided fabric. This is a stunning outfit on you. Love all you do!

Vicki said...

What a great way to show both sides of the fabric. The cardigan is perfect with the reduced fall.